Monday, August 06, 2007

Some Good News

I have a new work schedule! My hours are now 7:30 am to 3 pm, 35 hours a week.

I made this request to my supervisor several days ago thinking that it would be shot down immediately. To my surprise, when I approached her about it, she said, "I know that this transition has been hard on you and your family. I'm just glad that you aren't coming to me submitting you resignation!" So, she brought my request to her boss who said it was fine, if one of the other chaplains would agree to change his schedule a bit in order for there to be coverage until 5:00 pm. Right now, the other chaplains have a 7:30 am to 4:00 pm schedule and I didn't think that any of them would be willing to change- and I wouldn't have blamed them.

So, when my supervisor brought it up this morning at our chaplain's meeting, I expected there to be dead silence. But one of the chaplains immediately said, "I'll change. I was thinking about it anyway." I want to buy this man a steak- and I'm a vegetarian! I do think I will give him a gift certificate to a restaurant or something.

This is going to make all the difference in the world for us. My daughter will have a shorter day at preschool and I'll be able to pick my son up from the bus stop after school. I'll be able to spend more time with my kids in the afternoons and evenings than just supper, bath, and bed. This, of course, helps tremendously in my feelings about this new position. I still don't think I'll be doing this 5 years from now, but I feel like I can now settle into this ministry until God moves me on.

Dear blogpals, thank you so much for your support, especially when I was so very negative. I have a teensy bit of a problem in the trusting God department, it seems.

God is good.

10 comments:

Di said...

Hurrah!!! A change in hours can make a huge difference-- congratulations!

Anonymous said...

So wonderful. I'm glad the way was opened, and easily. :)

Towanda said...

Yay! This should makes things much better. Way to hang in there!

Amy said...

Congrats on the new hours!

And, you aren't the only one with trusting God issues. So, I totally get what you are going through.

Rev Kim said...

This is great news, and sounds like it will make life a little easier for all of you. Glad that someone stepped up to the plate so that this could all go smoothly.

I think many of us have challenges trusting God from time to time, and maybe more often than that!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

yeah! what great news that will help you & your family!! makes me smile & MochaJava Puppy let out a sigh under my desk... and please know you are soooo not alone in the "wandering aisle" of the trusting God department.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

YAY!

Rev SS said...

Praise be to our "full-of-surprises" God. Isn't it just amazing how sometimes all that is needed is for us to ask? I'm so to hear this.

Rev SS said...

I'm so GLAD to hear this -:)

more cows than people said...

oh good. very good. i'm so behind. sorry for the delayed reply.