Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Being Employed

I've been thinking..... A dangerous pastime, I know.

One of my many problems with this adjustment is that I don't like being an employee. Pastors, at least in my experience, aren't often called employees of the church. (That is, of course, unless someone doesn't get what they want, when they want it, from the pastor. Then, you might hear something like, "Hey, she's working for us, isn't she?") It's totally a pride thing and I need to get over myself.

But I do miss the dynamic of the pastor not being a member of the congregation, but rather a member of Presbytery. The owner of this hospice doesn't give a rip that I am a member of Presbytery; I am just his employee. And I am sure that he would have no appreciation for the fact that I consider myself first a Minister of Word and Sacrament serving in a validated ministry by authority of the my Presbytery before I consider myself his employee working as a chaplain for this particular hospice.

I believe what I just wrote, but do you see what I'm doing? I'm finding any way I can to not be an employee! I think that this is very significant for me and it is something that I am going to wrestle with in prayer. I really troubles me to think that I view the ordained office of Minister of Word and Sacrament as somehow more important than what others do for a living. Maybe I do. God help me! But also think that there are some other things going on too that I can't even articulate yet.

More later...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always been an employee-minister. I've never worked for a church, and you've actually just put your finger on something that I've never been able to articulate....about why it's hard to communicate, at times, with parish pastors in my Presbytery. Thank you.

And I'm so sorry this is hard for you.

Magdalene6127 said...

Well, I think the issue is that you are called-- to the Ministry of Word and Sacrament, to membership in your presbytery, even to the work you do in the hospice. And there is not much room in the employer/ employee paradigm for call.

It may be that you don't feel called to this hospice work? Is that it do you think?

Continuing to pray for you (((Iris))).

Mags

Towanda said...

maybe not liking being an employee has something to do with liking independence? Just a thought. And an attempt to offer a not-beating-yourself-up option...

be well...

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

well... it's good to recognize you don't care for the dynamic right?! I too think of W&S ministry as "different" than because it is... but fall into the temptation at times that this work/ministry is more important than others... I guess it's just our own brokeness coming thru right? But Iris... give yourself a break - God has equipped you to be you wherever you may be and go and do!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

((((((iris)))))))))))