Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Tuesday Bullets

  • In the nearly two years I have been blogging, I've gained a new gauge for measuring how I'm feeling by the frequency of my postings. When I'm depressed and/or seriously stressed, I don't blog. It's just another way I have to withdraw and not receive the support and love I know is out there. Why do I do that?

  • Yesterday I began year two of spiritual director training- the Ignatius (or "Iggy") year. I'm coming back to the program after a year off because last year at this time, I thought I was going to do hospice chaplaincy for awhile. Stupid hospice.... I am excited about the discipline of the Iggy year and meeting again with my spiritual director.

  • Next Tuesday, I am finally going to have an actual interview with the Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC) that sent spies to hear me preach several weeks ago. I'll keep y'all posted.

  • Knowing that that particular church may not be my call, I have also been in contact with some other PNC's across the country. Two weeks ago I had a fantastic phone interview with a PNC. I got off the phone feeling energized, yet I have dragged my feet on sending them the sermon tape they requested. I still haven't. Part of it, I know, is that I really, really want the call here. Part of it is that I've been depressed, and also because hubby and I have been stressed out and fighting- a lot. I'm not sure if moving futher east (where this church is), when the support of our families is out west, would be the right thing to do right now. So, I have a "please take me out of consideration" e-mail ready to send, but I haven't yet.

  • Our Presbytery just received a favorable ruling on a case that has been on-going for 2 years concerning the property of a congregation that has left the denomination. I am grateful for the ruling, as I truly believe it to be the right and fair decision. My heart still breaks because there are no winners, only broken relationships and resources diverted from ministry. May God bring healing to both sides.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

First, I'm glad to hear you are getting interest and interviews!! Not that it should be a surprise, but it sure feels good, doesn't it?

Second, you have my prayers as you discern what's next.

Also, this: (((Iris)))

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated birthday to you, Iris!

You certinaly have a LOT going on. Fighting with the hubby just stinks, we've had some of that around here as well--yuck!

Blessings with your discernment, you are dealing with some big decisions so I wish you peace through this time.

I find a similiar pattern when I'm depressed. I think it has more to do with not having enough energy to blog (for me anyway) rather than self-sabotage. Just a thought to help you not be so hard on yourself.

Lots of love and prayers coming your way! Catch!

Teri said...

it was good to chat a little last night--hope things go well on the discernment front!!

((iris))

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Praying for you, Iris. Choose joy today, however you can.

Rev Kim said...

Praying for you as you discern where God is calling you. Hope your spirit lifts, too.

Towanda said...

(((iris)))

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I figured out not too long ago... that next time around... my husband will have a LOT more to say about where I'm called. If he has to live in a fishbowl... then he gets to help pick the people he wants staring at him. He also gets to pick where they are staring from (as much as our process allows).

You know the old saying... if momma ain't happy... ain't nobody happy? Well... at our house... if hubby ain't happy at church... then momma ain't gonna be happy after a while. My husband is the one that has to pick up the pieces when they shoot at me... when I'm struggling with a church issue... and if he doesn't like it there... his inclination is for us to shine on.

OK... I'm off of my soap box. Sorry... didn't mean to project my life on to yours.

Mary Beth said...

Praying on all these things.

Rev SS said...

((((o)))) & prayers

more cows than people said...

hey you, i've had this open since i first read it meaning to comment. to send you LOTS of love. and to let you know i'm always happy to listen to a discerning friend.

i'm very curious about the options in front of you at the moment.

((((Iris))))