Thursday, April 03, 2008

Getting Ready to Go

I'm here. I have so much to write about, but haven't been able to do it. I've sat at this computer so many times in the past weeks, but couldn't get myself to type anything. This is my pattern in the "real" world, as well; when I feel overwhelmed I shut down and and don't communicate with my friends and family. Not good, I know.

In a nutshell, I feel simultaneously very blessed and very confused and angry. The confused and angry part comes from decisions that my dad is making right now. I don't have time to write about that right now, but I will one of these days. Just please pray for him and my mom.

The blessed part is that tomorrow I fly west to meet with a Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC) to be interviewed and do a neutral pulpit. For HipChick, and other non-Presbyterians, a neutral pulpit is an opportunity for the PNC to hear a candidate preach and lead worship. This is done at another church in the area because pastor candidates aren't introduced to the congregation until a call as been extended and accepted.

I will also be interviewed by an exam team from this Presbytery's Committee on Ministry. I'm actually most nervous about this because this Presbytery is, by and large, very conservative. This Presbytery is a neighboring Presbytery to where I went to seminary and does not allow its inquirers and candidates to attend my seminary. So, I am little worried that they will be prejudiced against me from the get-go and that I will be in for one doozy of an interview with the COM. So far, I have had very laid back COM interviews. Have any of you had difficulty with this part?

I'm not sure if I mentioned that this city out west is where my in-laws live. We haven't told them anything, not even that I'm in conversation with this church. The reason is that they would be devastated if it didn't work out and if I were the one to pull the plug, I'm not sure my mother-in-law would ever forgive me. So, I really hope I don't accidentally run into them! It's possible, as the church is just down the hill from their condo.

Okay, must finish sermon. I decided to preach lectionary instead of pulling out one of Iris' greatest hits, but now I'm beginning to wish I hadn't. Oh, well....

Peace to you all...

13 comments:

Towanda said...

prayers for you, friend.

Rev Kim said...

Praying for you here, too.

Crimson Rambler said...

courage, dear Iris -- as the Scots say, "if it's for ye, it'll no' go by ye..."

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh Iris... prayers. and remember Jesus surely will accompany you on these interviews and down this road... just like he did with uhm some other guys on their way to emmaus...

Unknown said...

Ah, blessings, Iris!

tngirl said...

My best to you, Iris. Hope all goes well.

imngrace said...

We're living parallel lives. I am preaching a neutral pulpit in two weeks. My prayers for you as you discern this call. Know God's sure and certain presence.

Magdalene6127 said...

Prayers, Iris, for you, and for your parents, and for your call process. Be yourself. If "yourself" is not acceptable for this presbytery... maybe it's best that you not be there...?

I like what Crimson Rambler said. Amen to that.

revhipchick said...

blessings and prayers.

you'll be fab. mags is right--you are loved for you are are. God called you into ministry just as you are, for you. you're wonderful.

i totally understand the mom-in-law thing, some days i think that if we don't get back home soon, as lovely as my mil is, she might end up not so lovely and nice.

peace, blessings,and much love.

Rev SS said...

I'm with CR & Mags too. Prayers ascending for you from here as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm sending you... via cyberspace express delivery... peace... and courage... and prayers.

more cows than people said...

oh crap- how did i miss this??? SENDING YOU SOOOOOO much love. SOOOOOOOOO much. may all be well and the discernment clear. call me any time.

Mary Beth said...

Praying for the call process and your parents.