Thursday, October 26, 2006

My First Blogger Meet-Up!

So, I've only been doing this blog thingy for about a month and I've already had my first blogger meet-up. I met up with Linda from Against a Brick Wall for lunch today. (You should have seen my husband's face when I told him I was going to go to lunch with someone I met online! I then told him that it was with another RevGal and he exhaled.)

Linda first contacted me by what she calls, "a blogger freak-out." You see, I had made a comment on St. Casserole's blog that led her to believe that we were living in the same city. So, she left me a message on my blog and I e-mailed her back. She was correct, we live in the same city in the Bible Belt. By golly, it's great to have another progressive in town!

I had a wonderful time getting to know Linda. We figured out that we had met before, briefly, when she visited my church in early September. This was a couple of weeks before I had even heard of RevGals. I admitted to her that I had peeked into her archives to read about her impressions of our congregation. I kinda knew what I might read, as it was a low ebb Sunday- being Labor Day weekend. She says on her blog that her comments were unfair, but I disagree. I was delighted for the opportunity to read the thoughts of a first-time visitor. How often do you get that chance? She was correct that the service was a snooze-fest! I wasn't preaching! :) Although I certainly have preached my share of sermons suitable for naptime!

I was also delighted to have the opportunity to discuss some of, what I feel, were misperceptions of our community. Again, how often do you get that chance? It's truly a wonderful community- inclusive, warm, challenging, fun. Of course I hope that she gives us another look, but that wasn't the reason I met her for lunch. I wanted to make a new friend, and I believe that I did! How fun is that!

2 comments:

Linda said...

It was great to meet you, Iris.

Cathy said...

What a great bubbly post! I have yet to meet any RGBP folk, but hope to one day!