Thursday, May 17, 2007

Stunned

My child care worker was just arrested for critically injuring a 2 year old under her care. DHS made a surprise inspection at her place when the boy was found and then rushed to the hospital. Thank God they came.

This woman has watched my children off and on for 3 years. Her in-home day-care is in a rougher neighborhood (where my church is located) and she has always taken in children who no one else would. She has come over to our house for my kid's birthday parties. She just watched my daughter this past Friday while I chaperoned my son's field trip.

Oh God, have I been blind? Ignored some big, flashing warning signs?

My children both swear that no one has ever hurt them while they were there. I still can't stop crying.

ETA: The news just reported that there was a warrant for her arrest even before this incident. Also, the child they found today was found unconscious and without a heartbeat. So, we may be talking about murder of a child. God, what if my children had been there? I am devastated and scared that there are things that my children haven't told us.

12 comments:

Linda said...

Iris, I'm so sorry. You all are in my thoughts. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Unknown said...

Oh honey, how terrible! Please know I am praying about this whole situation. Do you think you should have your kids evaluated by the pediatrician or someone qualified to see if there are any warning signs of abuse? I am so, so sorry and sad to read this. ((((Iris))))

Jody Harrington said...

Iris,
What a shock for you and what a dreadful situation!
Even with the best of intentions and the most diligent effort we can't always anticipate these things. Don't be too hard on yourself.

PPB said...

oh my gosh. How awful.

revhipchick said...

what a horrible shock. i'm so sorry, you and your entire family are in my prayers, as well as the others who are involved.

many long distance hugs and love coming your way.

KHB said...

What a horrible, scary thing. I read about this - it sounds like the poor baby died. I am so sorry. ::hug::

Di said...

Iris, I'm so sorry. I cannot begin to imagine what you must be feeling. My prayeres are with you and the families affected.

lutheranmom said...

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. I'll be praying for you and your children.
((Iris))

Anonymous said...

prayers for you, Iris, and kind embraces sent your way.

Unknown said...

Iris, my Lord. How terrible! You are in my prayers, and your children, too.

more cows than people said...

Iris, oh dear, I'm so terribly sorry. This is so very dreadful. Lifting up prayers a plenty and sending you and your community much love.

Diane M. Roth said...

prayers to you and to your family. It seems unreal.