Thursday, May 31, 2007

Last Day of Kindergarten

My little boy had his last day of Kindergarten today. For several weeks now, with good reason, my emotions have been just right under the surface and even things like McDonald's commercials have been making me cry. Yesterday, I was driving my son to school and the sappy song that goes, "Oh, how the years go by. Oh, how the love brings tears to my eyes..."
And, of course, the tears came and I was furiously wiping them away before we arrived at the school.

I am going to miss his teacher, Senor B. so much and not just because he is a gorgeous 29 year old! You can tell that he really and truly loves his job. I am so glad that my son at this age got to be influenced by a man, other than my husband, who is nurturing, intelligent, strong and loving. Also, I cannot believe how good my son's Spanish is already. It's mind-blowing, really.

Sr. B. threw a party for the last hour of the school day with cookies and awards (everyone got one.) Then, he had to go and make me cry some more! He gave each student a sealed envelope that had "Do not open until High School graduation" written on it. One step at a time, Sr. B! I'm having a hard enough time with my baby finishing Kindergarten! Don't get me thinking about his graduation! I know, I know. . . blink of an eye, they grow up so fast, blah, blah, blah, graduationcakes!

But really, that was the sweetest thing I have ever seen a teacher do. I bawled, but I wasn't the only one, gratefully.

It's only gonna get worse, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great teacher.

What a great mom.

Pastor's Husband said...

Senor B is a great teacher! I love it when someone lives out their true calling to the fullest extent they can.

Thanks Iris!

tngirl said...

yes, it gets worse, My little precious son is 12 now, but Kindergarten seems like yesterday. And nothing brings tears to my eyes like my baby boy growing up on me!!!