Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Five: Party Time!

Songbird says: I hate to say it, but over the years I've been to too many parties where I, or the birthday child, has felt much like the chorus of Lesley Gore's old tune. I am therefore not the biggest fan of birthday parties.For this Friday (which happens to be my birthday), tell us these five things about parties, birthday or otherwise.

1) Would you rather be the host or the guest?

Oh, definitely the guest! Much less stress!

2) When you are hosting, do you clean everything up the minute the guests go home? Will you accept help with the dishes?

I'll clean up anything that might attract ants right away, but the rest probably waits until later. I absolutely would accept help with the dishes. I'd appreciate the help and often wonderful conversations arise from doing mundane tasks together.

3) If you had the wherewithal, and I guess I mean more than money, to throw a great theme party, what would the theme be?

This is less a "theme" and more of an "experience:"

I think it would be fun to spontaneously to show up at my friends' houses in a limo and then head to a spa to get pampered head to toe. Then, go to Nordstrom's and have a personal shopper choose fun "out on the town" outfits for each of us. Then we would go eat a sumptuous dinner with lots of wine and dessert, of course. I would want to "party" with only about 2 or 3 other women.

4) What's the worst time you ever had at a party?

Oh, this is easy. In my early 20's I had a crush on this cute guy from work. So, I was thrilled when one day he asked if I would like to go to a party with him that night. I was quite a bit less impressed with this fellow when we got to the party and it was a fireplacin' Amway party! To quote Deena Carter, "Did I shave my legs for this?"

5) And to end on a brighter note, what was the best?

I tend to not enjoy big bashes because it's a lot of work for me to "mill around" and be sociable. So, the best party I've ever been to was when my husband surprised me by taking the kids to a friend's house for the night and took me away to a B&B. Our room had a jacuzzi tub and there were roses and champagne waiting. Now, that is my kind of party!

11 comments:

ellbee said...

Wow- lots of Good Hubby points for that party. :)

That would just barely nose out the spa/shopping day for me.

Well played!

Lori said...

Ambushed by Amway! What a terrible surprise.

revhipchick said...

we're totally on the same wavelengh with #2, pretty close on #1 as well!

i LOVE your party idea--that would be FABULOUS!

what a wonderful hubby!

great play!

Anna Sorenson said...

Wow! That is a romantic hubby. Does he write advice columns for husbands? He should! Lucky you.

Mary Beth said...

Why would you invite ANYONE to an Amway party!? Pah!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

I'm suspecting there are loads of bad party memories from girls chasing the cute guys and vice versa... That would be a hilarious book! or tragic perhaps?

Iris said...

I used to think about compiling such a book and giving it the title Boys are Dumb: Stories to Make You Feel Better

Pastor's Husband said...

Hey Thanks! That's a great idea for the Pastor in my life... Thanks Iris' husband!!!

PH

Deb said...

Amway? Yuck. Some "friend"!!! I def do the personal shopper thing with you. I need someone to tell me "gad no, you look putrid in that color" because my best fashion sense is a Tee and Jeans! :)

d

Unknown said...

Amway?!!?!!!
How disappointing!!!

Unknown said...

"Boys are Dumb: Stories to Make You Feel Better"

Hahahahaha -- you should SERIOUSLY do this. I could contribute, most definitely.