Monday, May 14, 2007

More to Consider

I found out this weekend from the "Presbytery grapevine" that the pastor of a terrific, mid-size congregation in this city in the Bible Belt is leaving next month. For a long time, I have been imagining myself as the pastor of this congregation, but never believed that this particular pastor would be leaving any time soon.

I've also heard through "the grapevine" that some key lay leaders of this church have been asking my Presbytery colleagues about my potential interest in this call. Man, this would be a great call: we wouldn't have to move, the church is three blocks from my son's school, I wouldn't have to take my son out of his Spanish immersion program, I could continue in my Spiritual Director training with my group and my Spiritual Director.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!! There's always more to consider.

Since this pastor is going to be leaving next month, it will be 6 months or more (probably more) before they will be ready to begin the search process. I am certainly not arrogant enough to believe that I have a lock on the position, but it hearing about this has exposed my true feelings that were hidden even to me that I really would like to stay here in this city.

I am still rather keen on this congregation far, far away with whom I've been interviewing. I am confident that my husband and I will know what is right, when the time is right. However, sometimes I think God says to us,"This would be good *and* that would be good. You'll be useful and blessed whatever." All I know right now is that I am called to pastor a congregation and that I am languishing in my current position. I know that sounds awfully melodramatic-languishing- but that is exactly how it feels. Would I be able to wait potentially a year in order to be considered for this call, which I may or may not get?

Thanks for reading; if you're still reading, this stream of consciousness post. I feel like my brain has tilted inside of my head. Pray for me.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

(((Iris)))
All we can do is remain open to possibilities and see which one really feels right...which is easier typed than done.

Pastor's Husband said...

Love the Big Lebowski! My screensaver at the moment says "MARK IT ZERO!"

Don't know when the new Heroes:Origins will begin airing, but I think it's safe to say it might be right around the time that search committe asks you to dance across town.

You go Rev Girl!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Languishing... danger! danger! but honestly it happens. In the interim while you reinvigorate or peruse other places to be... think of your call to ministry - it's your touchstone. And pray. pray ... have a latte and pray some more. May God lead you to where you are called to thrive.

Anonymous said...

Languishing is a great word! Prayers for you...

Linda said...

Excellent news that there's more for you to consider, and what an affirmation to know some in the church are already asking about your possible interest.

I'm curious what church it is. I'll e-mail you.

PPB said...

Argh. Don't you wish job hunting was like college admissions? Everything open at the same time and answers at about the same time, and then you can just pick what's the best option?

Iris said...

Thanks, everyone!

PPB, that is exactly what I wish!

Di said...

Oh, I don't envy you this stage of your ministry. I'm excited for you that there's an interesting opportunity, but I know that the waiting can drive a woman out of her mind!

On a completely different note, thanks for your thoughts on CPE. I can't tell you how grateful I've been for your cybersupport! It's such a relief to hear about CPE that doesn't whack you like a cudgel.

Cecilia said...

Iris, I too am in a search mode, and I too have two potentially good churches to consider. Thank you for your post-- you named many of the things I am going through.

Pax, C.

more cows than people said...

i immediately felt and sent a lot of love your way when I first read this, but apparently i didn't manage to comment. ((((iris)))) can your spiritual direction group serve as a clearness committee for you? yes... stay open... trust.... much easier typed than done.