Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday Five: What's In a Name?

1. So how did you come up with your blogging name? And/or the name of your blog?
I have written about this here before, but you may not have memorized everything I've written ! :)
I got Iris from my childhood. You see, when I was about 3 years old, I used to tell people that my name was Iris. My parents don't know where I heard the name, but I guess I fell in love with it and wanted it to be my name. My mom tells me that I would only answer "Iris" when asked, "What is your name?" However, I would answer with my real name whenever I was asked "Who are you?" So, I knew who I was, but my name was Iris.

Growing Where I'm Planted is taken from what my mom used to say to me growing up when I was feeling restless, which was all. the. time. She would say, "Iris, you need to just grow where you're planted." I would get kind of irritated when she would say that to me because my parents transplanted me so many times when I was young (over twenty times before I was ten years old.) I always felt so unrooted and ungrounded. It wasn't until I sensed the call to be a pastor when I was sixteen years old that I felt finally rooted and grounded in a love that had given me purpose and wholeness for my life. Then, I began to believe that I could take my mom's advice to "grow where I'm planted."

I'm still restless as hell, though.

2.Are there any code names or secret identities in your blog? Any stories there?
No, I haven't really used any code names in my blog. I've toyed around with some blog names for my kids and husband, but nothing has stuck.

3. What are some blog titles that you just love? For their cleverness, drama, or sheer, crazy fun?
I love Amy's blog title of Stories From the Red Tent because I love that book and it makes me think of women truly being in deep, sisterly relationship with one another. I also love the sense of hospitality I get from Mrs. M.'s blog name of The Kitchen Door with the subtitle "is always open."
4.What three blogs are you devoted to? Other than the RevGalBlogPals blog of course!
Just three? Just can't do it. Well, look at my sidebar and you can see to whom I am devoted!

5. Who introduced you to the world of blogging and why?
If I hadn't read the article about RGBP in "The Christian Century" in September of 2006, I would not be blogger today. Or at least I seriously doubt it. At the time, I thought blogging was only for narcissists or people who like to argue! I didn't realize that it could also be a wonderful way to build friendships and receive and give support. I had been craving this kind of community for a long time, but every time I would google "women pastors," I would come up with sites about pastors' wives or sites arguing against women pastors. I am pretty sure I know who wrote that piece for the CC and I want to thank her from the bottom of my heart.

Bonus question: Have you ever met any of your blogging friends? Where are some of the places you've met these fun folks?
I have met Linda from Against a Brick Wall on a few occasions. She is a fantastic, crazy-smart woman! I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Towanda last year when I was traveling. Towanda just graduated from the same seminary I did. My husband's family is in the area, so when we were visiting, I took Towanda out for lunch at what was my favorite Chinese restaurant when I was in seminary. Thankfully, it was still good!
Since so many do a "feet" picture for blogger meet-ups, we decided to so a "hands" picture in my sister-in-law's backyard!




6 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

And here I thought your name was really Iris. I loved these answers. You've been on my mind, so I'm praying for you. ((hug))

Jan said...

I love your stories about your name and blog title. Several of you have mentioned finding RevGals in "Christian Century." I read it whenever it comes to my house but never noticed that one mentioning blogs! Glad you're here.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh iris... so glad you found the community you craved! i missed the CC article... but God is good and led me anyhoos. now when's the last time you relaxed on that lovely porch swing?

Anonymous said...

the story about your name is wonderful! LOVE IT and LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very understanding of the "restless as hell" comment. I know the feeling... from my toes to my nose. I just keep hoping I'm going to be planted... deeply... soon!

Unknown said...

Even though I know your "real" name, I find I always think of you as Iris. :-)