Monday, July 16, 2007

Shifting Gears

I really should have taken at least a day off between jobs. I am physically and emotionally exhausted and I didn't feel like I could assimilate anything they were teaching me today. And there is so much for me to learn.

I am going to be glad when my training is over so that I can begin going alone on visits. I am an introvert that can play the part of an extrovert for a while, if I have some alone time. I think I am really going to like my time alone in my car as I drive to patients homes. Some of my drives are over 20 miles away.

I do think that I am going to enjoy my job, but all day today I was longing for the church, not specifically the church I just left, but just in general. I want to be fully engaged in what I am doing, but how do I do that when I know that ultimately my heart is in parish ministry? I know the answer to my own question and that is to accept this time as a gift to hone my pastoral care skills, not to mention my organization skills! I am also going to gain an understanding of folks who work M-F, 8-5 each week, which is something I have never ever done.

I have already met some incredible people and I'm sure to blog about many of the experiences I have had. Like today, I visited a women who is an immigrant from Russia and doesn't speak English. When we prayed together, she began in Russian and I continued in English; back and forth in each language until we finished the prayer. I felt like it was Pentecost!

More later!

6 comments:

Towanda said...

Honey, it WAS Pentecost! That's a lovely story.

Unknown said...

It really is. Bless you for seeing that.

Rochelle said...

Iris--thanks for your comment on my blog. It is fun getting to know new people. I did a CPE residency at Parkland in Dallas. What a special ministry you are doing right now...and what a beautiful story about the prayer. I will be at prayer for you as you journey on this part of your spiritual trip. Blessings to you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

what a really beautiful time you have ahead of you... just the transition seems to be like seeing everything thru tissue paper... you can see it, but you want to go back to when things were maybe clearer OR you want to just rip thru it, get on with it and enjoy the new colors. It'll come...

tngirl said...

Peace to you, Iris. Transitions are so hard. I am struggling with you. Embrace those wonderful 'pentecost' moments and learn to love tending this new garden.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

When you said you start your new job on Monday..well..I wondered.
((((((((Iris))))))))) Blessings as you embrace this time. And you will.