Friday, December 01, 2006

Friday Five: Adventually


Songbird says: Although it comes as late as it can this year, Advent is upon us. Some of us grew up observing it, while to others (including this childhood Baptist) it was even more foreign than Lent! Over the past twenty years, I have grown to love Advent as a season of preparation, although as a pastor I find it harder to practice it at home than at church, even when the church might prefer I make it the other way 'round.

Here are five questions about Advent for this first of December:

1) Do you observe Advent in your church?
Yes, indeed!

2) How about at home?
The kids each have an advent calendar thanks to a sweet woman from church. We don't usually have an advent wreath at home.

3) Do you have a favorite Advent text or hymn?
I always get the chills when I hear "O Come, O Come Immanuel" for the first time each year.

4) Why is one of the candles in the Advent wreath pink? (You may tell the truth, but I'll like your answer better if it's funny.)
One of the candles told a dirty joke about the shepherds and the sheep that made one of them blush.

5) What's the funniest/kitschiest Advent calendar you've ever seen?
There are some doozies out there. But I'll forgive even the kitschiest if it has chocolate!

9 comments:

Maria Tafoya said...

I love your pink answer!

chartreuseova said...

I agree, it doesn't matter what is on the outside of calendar but what is inside.

And good chocolate inside makes it easy to outlook all sorts of goofiness on the outside.

Unknown said...

That may be a prize winner!

revhipchick said...

you are tooo funny!

it was kinda spooky reading the top of your bio page. i too am (and i'm sure there are many others) a virgo, rat, 34, female, religion, and soon to be pastor in the bible belt! too funny! oh yeah and we both have flowers for pics! how funny is that?

Iris said...

Hipchickmamma,
Separated at birth, perhaps?
Come by anytime!

Magdalene6127 said...

Ack! Your pink answer is officially my favorite!

Well-played!

Mags

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

a hahahahahaha!

1-4 Grace said...

okay, my post did nto come through form last night, but I will put soem info on my blog about the Advent Workshop we had last Wednesday (it is done in palce of our usual Wednesday night program). Our main thing is to do the Advent Wreaths, b/c thsi is the sacred cow of our event. SOme families do one per member. Some places will givew you their tree cuttigns if you tell them you are with the church. Good phrase for many thigns, " I am with The Church." okay, tiem for Sudnay school, people are demanding things of me. I iwll blog to y'all tomorrow over the AW. Things are crazy here today! Can't wait for that beer.

1-4 Grace said...

Oh, where does one buy Pumkin Beer?
Did y'all see the beer ad that got banned in Miane? It had Santa drinking beer with hs cute little hiney showing. I would laove a poster for my office :)~
Okay, maybe not here, but my closet perhaps?