Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pastoral Care Overload

I have another funeral this Saturday- my third one with this congregation. She was a really wonderful woman. She asked me to preach Luke 9:62 at her funeral, which is,
"Jesus said to him, ‘No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’"

She was a published author and she told me that this verse described "the way I see myself since I began writing." What a woman.

I may have yet another funeral soon- a woman who was a member of the Pastor Nominating Committee who was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer in the middle of the call process. She's only in her mid-50's, but very, very sick.

I appreciate your prayers for these people and their families...and for me.

Did I mention I just began this call on January 1st?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, that is a lot, Iris. Holding you in prayer.

Rev Kim said...

Oh, Iris. Praying for you.

(((Iris)))

Rev SS said...

Empathizing with you. My first call to a solo position was across the U.S. I arrived two weeks prior to my first day on the job in order to move into my house. During that two weeks I was asked to officiate at two memorial services (one for a member of my new congregation, and one for the mother of one of the members of the committee who called me. Then during the next 6 months there were 5 more!

Prayers for strength, peace, and healthy compassion and pastoral relationship

imngrace said...

Been there, done that. In my first two months here I did four funerals and I was called for two others that were not members. Oy!

Breathe....

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh Iris... to be spiritually exhausted is to have let God moved through you to reach those you serve... sounds like you are there.

Anonymous said...

praying for you and your congregation. peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

((((Iris)))) So many things happening in your life... but God's with you... and so are we. Holler if you need anything....

Mary Beth said...

oh, my gosh! You're in my prayers.

Grace thing said...

thinking of you. That's a lot!